Lyn Bates is the Vice President of AWARE (Arming Women Against Rape and Endangerment, www.aware.org), a nonprofit organization that provides information and training to enable women to avoid, deter, repel or resist crimes ranging from minor harassment to violent assault.
She has been a competitive shooter, recipient of the National Tactical Invitational’s Tactical Advocate Award, and is certified to teach several self-defense techniques. She has authored the book Safety for Stalking Victims, and can be reached through the AWARE website
Lyn Bates Archives
- Sept/Oct- Cyber Safety
- July/August- Racking the Slide
- May/June- Lessons in Reality: How Many Mistakes Does it Take.
- March/April- Priorities For Survival
- Jan/Feb- Surprises and Lessons From Active Shooters
- July/August- What do you do if stopped by the police?
- May/June- Double Tap.
- March/April- Homicide: What is Your Risk?
- Jan/Feb- What the Glock Girl did.
- Nov/ Dec– Universal Cover Mode, Uncovered.
- Sept/Oct- Duty to Warn?
- July/Aug- A Girl and a Gun: The Movie, The Backstory
- May/June- Two Drivers, One Gun
- March/April- Aware at 20+
- Jan/Feb- When Do Defensive Guns NOT Help Crime Victims.
- Nov/Dec- See Them, Stay Invisible
- Sept/Oct- Strategies and Tactics Combine for Self Defense
- July/Aug- Woman Shoots Man
- May/June- Household Burglary: What Are Your Chances?
- March/April- Rules for a Gunfight
- Jan/Feb- Holster Purses Come of Age
- Sept/Oct- How to Find a Good Instructor
- July/Aug- More Ideas That Can Kill You
- May/June- Ideas That Can Kill You
- March/April- Purse Carry: Do You? What? How?
- Jan/Feb- How About Us Lefties?
- Nov/Dec- Lessons in Reality: Just Pick It Up And Shoot
- Sept/Oct- Range Exercises for Self-Defense Practice (Part 2)
- July/Aug- Range Exercises for Self-Defense Practice (Part 1)
- May/June- Shoot/Don’t Shoot: Who Should Pull the Trigger?
- March/April- New York City Police Firearms Discharge Report
- Jan/Feb- Courtroom Survival
- Nov/Dec- Mass Murders, Interrupted
- Sept/Oct- Active Shooters
- May/June- Accidents: Your Life Changes in an Instant
- Nov/Dec- Lessons in Reality: Chronologically Gifted Protect Themselves
- Sept/Oct- Defending Ourselves As We Mature
- July/Aug- Small Town, Big Surprise
- May/June- Give Yourself Another Hand
- March/April- Attention: No More Tunnel Vision
- Jan/Feb- Lethal Force Decisions
- Nov/Dec- Survey Finale: Male & Female Differences
- Sept/Oct- Survey Results, Part 2:Using Lethal Force- Your Thoughts and Opinions
- July/Aug- The W-Word
- May/June- Lessons in Reality: He Grabbed for Her Gun
- March/April- Carrying While Carrying
- Jan/Feb- Your First Time: A Survey
- Nov/Dec- If You Are Shot
- Sept/Oct- Good, Free Information Abounds on Firearms, Tactics and Criminal Justice
- July/Aug- Firearms Training Standards
- May/June- Lessons in Reality: Love Gone Wrong
- March/April- Lessons in Reality: When Bad Gun Accidents Happen to Good Gun People
- Jan/Feb- No Light? No Problem!